Social Security officials partially walk back plans for in-person verification

The Social Security Administration is revising proposed changes that would have required some beneficiaries to prove their identity in-person when seeking services.

Officials said in a statement Wednesday that they are exempting people who apply for Medicare and disability benefits, as well as supplemental income help for the poor, from having to prove their identity in-person at a social security office if they are unable to use the agency’s online system.

They also announced they are pushing back the start of the new policy by two weeks, to April 14.

The new rules, which were first announced last week, were met with concerns from advocates for seniors and people with disabilities, as well as lawmakers. Dozens of Democratic members of Congress sent a letter to agency leaders last week asking them to reconsider the change because it would “create additional barriers” for people seeking services — “particularly for those who live far from an office.”

“We have listened to our customers, Congress, advocates, and others, and we are updating our policy to provide better customer service to the country’s most vulnerable populations,” Lee Dudek, acting commissioner of Social Security, said in the Wednesday statement.

For decades now, claimants have been able to complete their benefit application process entirely by phone.

But last week, Social Security officials announced that people who cannot prove their identity using the agency’s online system would be required to show up in person when seeking benefits or changing direct deposit information.

Dudek, who was tapped for the role by President Trump, said the policy change was an effort to carry out the administration’s goal of protecting benefits while rooting out waste and alleged fraud.

“For far too long, the agency has used antiquated methods for proving identity,” Dudek said in a statement. “Social Security can better protect Americans while expediting service.”

But advocates and others warned the changes were in service of inflated and unsubstantiated fraud claims.

“The new policy is supposedly intended to prevent ‘fraud,’ without any proof that phone claims were being paid out fraudulently,” Max Richtman, president and CEO of the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare, said in a statement last week. “The new process would force seniors and people with disabilities to navigate a needless technical hurdle in applying for their earned benefits.”

According to the agency, these new identity requirements will now apply only to people seeking retirement, survivor or auxiliary benefits.

As of last month, more than 50 million Americans received retirement benefits from the SSA and thousands of Americans newly qualify for benefits every day.

 

Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry

The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.

Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor

Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor. 

Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums

Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.

Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering

U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.

Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana

An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

More Front Page Coverage