Community Sponsor Circle
WBHM’s award-winning news and entertainment programming provides an understanding of our diverse, complex, and ever-changing world through local reporting and programming from NPR.
Our business model is unique. As an NPR member station and a non-profit entity, the vast majority of our funding comes not from advertising, but from corporate/business sponsors and listener contributions – it comes from our community.
WBHM INVITES YOU TO JOIN THE COMMUNITY SPONSOR CIRCLE.
Our community sponsors support WBHM for many different reasons. Some are like Thompson Tractor Company which wants to support and advance a valuable community resource that informs, educates, and enlightens listeners.
Others, like Southern Environmental Law Center and Bridgeworth Wealth Management, support WBHM because they wish to connect with nearly 100,000 on-air and online listeners within the same demographic as their clients.
Still others, such as Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama, view supporting WBHM as a way to give back to the community that aligns with their philanthropic goal to support initiatives that improve the health, wellness, and education of Alabamians.
LET’S TALK ABOUT WHY BEING A COMMUNITY SPONSOR IS RIGHT FOR YOU.
Because WBHM is a mission-driven, membership organization that the public sees as contributing to the local community, the sponsor is seen as supporting this community service as well — ultimately increasing awareness of your company and distinguishing you from competitors. That’s called the Halo Effect.
- 82% have taken action specifically because of a sponsorship announcement.
- 75% say their opinion of a business is more positive when they find out it supports public radio.
- 69% prefer to buy products from businesses that support public radio when price and quality are equal.
- 60% pay attention to the sponsorship announcements they hear on public radio.
- 61% agree that public radio is selective about the businesses and products that can sponsor its programming.
- 53% feel the businesses they hear in sponsorship announcements on public radio are more credible than those they hear in advertising on other radio stations.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PUBLIC RADIO AND COMMERCIAL RADIO
2-3 minutes per hour
From members, corporations & grants
PERCEPTION OF SPONSORSHIP
A commitment to our community and its well-being
16-26 minutes per hour
PERCEPTION OF SPONSORSHIP
Obtrusive and pushy
Our signal reaches across the heart of Alabama and is streamed globally.
COMMUNITY SPONSOR CIRCLE
When you join the WBHM Community Sponsor Circle, your company or organization will realize the advantages of traditional radio marketing with the added benefit of supporting a well-respected, non-profit media institution. It is a powerful way to brand your organization and build awareness while supporting the news, music, and entertainment programming listeners in the heart of Alabama value and rely on each week.
Our packages offer maximum exposure throughout the day. All announcements are 15 seconds in length. Rates are net per spot.
IRON CITY CIRCLE
- 90/year x Monday-Friday, 5 a.m. to 9 a.m.
- 250/year x Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- 70/year x Monday-Friday, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- 120/year x Saturday-Sunday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- 75/year x Bonus announcements “Best Time Available” & Web Leaderboard 12 mo.
- Total of 605 :15 second announcements
- Total investment: $20,000/year
- BONUS: The opportunity for the company/organization’s top exec to record a testimonial to air.
- 70/year x Monday-Friday, 5 a.m. to 9 a.m.
- 188/year x Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- 55/year x Monday-Friday, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- 90/year x Saturday-Sunday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- 57/year x Bonus announcements “Best Time Available” & Full-size Web Banner 12 mo.
- Total of 460 :15 second announcements
- Total investment: $15,000/year
YELLOW HAMMER CIRCLE
- 45/year x Monday-Friday, 5 a.m. to 9 a.m.
- 125/year x Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- 35/year x Monday-Friday, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- 60/year x Saturday-Sunday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- 50/year x Bonus announcements “Best Time Available” & 1/2-size Web Banner 12 mo.
- Total of 315 :15 second announcements
- Total investment: $10,000/year
Underwriting announcements are public radio’s version of advertising; they acknowledge support for our station. Sponsors should keep in mind that the non-commercial nature of public radio is highly valued by listeners and the FCC has established certain guidelines for
program sponsorship. It’s why we sound different!
Underwriting announcements are 15 seconds (approximately 25 words) and may include:
- Name of business/organization providing underwriting support
- Brief description of sponsor’s products and/or services
- Location and web address of business/organization
- Event dates and locations
Announcements may NOT include:
- Promotional, comparative or qualitative language (best, most reliable, etc)
- A call to action (“come to this event,” “call now,” “visit our website”)
- Price or value information, e.g., $59.95
- An inducement to buy, sell, rent or lease (“year-end sale”)
- Personal pronouns (I, me, our)
- A list containing more than three items
- Language that expresses a view with respect to a matter of public interest
Together with our listeners, support comes from:
VP Funds. VP Funds supports causes that encourage kindness, consideration, and common sense. VP Funds, a proud sponsor of public radio and its mission.
PNC Grow Up Great, providing grants for early childhood education to help kids learn during a critical age – birth to five years old. PNC Grow Up Great dot com slash anniversary.
The Melville Charitable Trust, supporting solutions to prevent and end homelessness. On the web at Melville Trust dot org.
WBHM is a listener-supported service of the University of Alabama at Birmingham.