Reporter – Local Government and Communities
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, WBHM produces award-winning news, information, and music programming. The WBHM audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do, too. Every day, we touch the lives of thousands statewide.
WBHM is seeking an enterprising journalist to cover local government and communities. The Birmingham area has changed tremendously over the last several years with the addition of Railroad Park, Regions Field, and a thriving restaurant scene. Lofts dot the cityscape, and along with industry and research institutions, there is a budding startup scene.
Birmingham also struggles with a workforce skills gap, poverty, and under-performing schools. We need a reporter who can examine local issues and tell stories about how they affect lives in metro Birmingham. She or he will produce journalism that holds governments and corporations accountable. The ideal candidate would be adept at reporting from courthouses, schools, city council meetings and neighborhood gatherings. The job requires a keen eye for stories, attention to detail, versatility, and excellent news judgment.
Annual Salary Range: $38,209.60 – $60,008.00
- To produce original, compelling stories, including breaking news, and to advance WBHM’s coverage on issues that impact communities and WBHM’s audience.
- To tell stories on all editorial platforms, including digital and visual media, social networks and podcasts, with the goal of reaching the largest audience with the biggest impact.
- To keep up with daily news stories, conduct interviews, do research, write and edit content.
- To collaborate with a team of WBHM editors, reporters and producers, and other editorial partners.
- This position is required to keep abreast of best practices in the field and remain up to date on current trends and new technologies.
- This position should anticipate change and ensure the organization is positioned to succeed.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a related field and two (2) years of related experience required.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered. APPLY TODAY.