What Are Potential Pollution Sources In Jefferson County?
Birmingham has long seen air pollution with the U.S. Steel Plant operating 24 hours a day in the 1970s.
Source: LeRoy Woodson, EPA, 1970
By Hank Black
Thirty-one industries, businesses and other operations in Jefferson County are considered possible large sources of pollution and issued operating permits that recognize that.
The Title V Major Source Operating Permits are issued under Chapter 18 of the Jefferson County Board of Health Air Pollution Control Rules and Regulations. These permits are for sources that have the potential to emit 10 tons per year or more of any one hazardous air pollutant, 25 tons per year or more of any combination of hazardous air pollutants, or 100 tons per year or more of any regulated air pollutant.
The Health Department also issues permits for those sources that produce less pollution than that required for Title V permits. Currently, more than 190 entities – from colleges to funeral homes to dry cleaners – hold air emission permits locally. See the full list and the emissions at the Health Department website.
Current holders of Title V Major Source Operating Permits issued by the Jefferson County Department of Health:
- Alabama Power Company (J.H. Miller, Jr. Steam Electric Generating Plant)
- American Cast Iron Pipe Company (ACIPCO)
- Amsted Rail Company
- Berman Brothers Iron & Metal Co., Inc. dba Bermco Aluminum
- Boral Bricks (Bessemer Plant No. 5)
- Boral Bricks (Bessemer Plant No. 6)
- C & B Piping, Inc. (Adamsville)
- C & B Piping, Inc. (Leeds)
- Drummond (ABC Coke)
- Eastern Area Landfill
- ERP Coke
- Glasforms, Inc.
- Green Mountain Management
- Harbison-Walker Refractories Co..
- Jefferson County Landfill No. 1
- JTI Companies, Inc.
- Lehigh Cement Company
- New Georgia Landfill (City of Birmingham)
- Nucor B’ham Steel Corporation (Title V Permit)
- Oak Grove Resources, LLC
- Precoat Metals
- Rexam Beverage Company
- Rock Wool Manufacturing Company
- SMI Steel Inc. dba CMC Steel Alabama
- Southern Natural Gas Company (Tarrant Compressor Station)
- UAB Title V Permit
- S. Pipe and Foundry Company, LLC – Bessemer Pipe Plant
- S. Steel (Fairfield Works Pipe Mill)
- S. Steel (Fairfield Works)
- Vulcan Painters, Inc.
- Vulcan Pipe & Steel Coatings, Inc.
Woodfin Highlights “Moral Obligations” of Proposed 2020 Budget
Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin says his proposed FY 2020 operating budget represents a “fundamental shift” in how the city thinks about spending, with an increased focus on fulfilling his administration’s “moral obligations” — prioritizing city employees and neighborhood revitalization.