Redstone Arsenal Responds to Active Shooter Report
Redstone Arsenal has been cleared of potential active shooters. Law enforcement agencies Tuesday were investigating a possible active shooter situation at the U.S. military installation in Huntsville. The Sparkman Center, the area of Redstone that was locked down for part of the afternoon, reopened late Tuesday afternoon.
The incident took place in the Aviation and Missile Command area, where about 5,000 people work, according to Lisa Simunaci, spokeswoman for the U.S. Army Materiel Command.
Possible active shooter on the Arsenal. Installation is locked down. Run hide fight.
— Redstone Arsenal (@TeamREDSTONE) June 27, 2017
At about 10:30 am, Redstone Arsenal tweeted this alert: “Possible active shooter on the Arsenal. Installation is locked down. Run hide fight.”
The facility, where 43,000 people work, was on lockdown.
By 12:30 pm, some restrictions had been lifted as some roads remained closed. Simunaci said several law enforcement agencies were still investigating the incident, including the Huntsville Police Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigations. There have been no reports of injuries or fatalities. No hospitals reported treated people from Redstone.
Simunaci said Redstone has good security measures in place, which it regularly tests. A drill was scheduled for tomorrow. It’s unclear whether that will still take place.
For an update from the scene, visit WBHM’s page onFacebook.