Trump says he plans to move his national security adviser Mike Waltz to the UN

President Trump said on Thursday he is nominating his national security adviser Mike Waltz as his ambassador to the United Nations in the first big shake up of top aides since Trump started his second term.

Trump said on social media that he would make Marco Rubio his interim national security adviser — a role that will come on top of his existing job, Secretary of State.

Waltz will need to be confirmed by the U.S. Senate for the UN position. “I’m deeply honored to continue my service to President Trump and our great nation,” he said on social media.

The UN spot has been vacant since Trump asked his first nominee, Rep. Elise Stefanik, R-N.Y., to instead stay in Congress to help preserve the narrow majority Republicans hold in the House of Representatives.

National security adviser Mike Waltz stands behind Vice President Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth in the Oval Office on April 7, 2025.
National security adviser Mike Waltz stands behind Vice President Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth in the Oval Office on April 7, 2025. (Saul Loeb | AFP)

Waltz has come under pressure since March when he inadvertently invited a journalist into a private text chat among top officials discussing military plans for U.S. strikes on the Houthis in Yemen.

Trump had initially defended Waltz — who took responsibility for the mishap — and downplayed the incident as a “glitch.” He was complimentary of Waltz in his announcement on Thursday, saying he had “worked hard to put our nation’s interests first.”

Trump told The Atlantic in an interview last week that “Waltz is fine” when asked about his future. “I think we learned, ‘Maybe don’t use Signal, okay?’ If you want to know the truth. I would frankly tell these people not to use Signal, although it’s been used by a lot of people.”

But Trump has leaned more heavily on other top aides for national security issues like the conflicts in Ukraine and Gaza, and talks with Iran, including Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent as well as Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

National security adviser Mike Waltz and his wife, former homeland security adviser Julia Nesheiwat, take a selfie as they tour the Pituffik Space Base on March 28, 2025 in Greenland during a visit with Vice President Vance.
National security adviser Mike Waltz and his wife, former homeland security adviser Julia Nesheiwat, take a selfie as they tour the Pituffik Space Base on March 28, 2025 in Greenland during a visit with Vice President Vance. (Pool | Getty Images Europe)

The announcement came after hours of rumors that Waltz was leaving his position — and while Rubio’s spokeswoman Tammy Bruce was briefing reporters at the State Department. “We have to admit, these last 100 days — it’s like hanging on to a freaking bullet train,” Bruce told reporters.

The last person to simultaneously be Secretary of State and national security adviser was Henry Kissinger, during the Nixon era. He did both jobs for two years.

“Some Americans in Washington and elsewhere thought the double assignment gave Kissinger too much power and persuaded President Ford to strip him of his White House title in late 1975,” presidential historian Michael Beschloss said.

In Rubio’s case, Trump has indicated this will be a temporary assignment until he picks a new national security adviser.

Waltz was the first Green Beret elected to Congress where he served three terms representing east central Florida in the House of Representatives.

Waltz, who was known as a national security hawk, had an uphill road to climb within Trump’s circle. He had long been an advocate of sanctions against Russia and never seemed to fully align with Trump’s approach to Moscow and other adversaries.

Before taking the White House job, Waltz served as chairman of the House Armed Services subcommittee on readiness and was a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee and the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.

NPR diplomatic correspondent Michele Kelemen contributed to this report.

 

Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry

The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.

Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor

Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor. 

Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums

Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.

Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering

U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.

Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana

An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

More Front Page Coverage