Palestinian medics say a video of Gaza rescue crews under fire refutes Israeli claims
TEL AVIV, Israel — Palestinian medical officials say they obtained video footage that refutes Israel’s claims about the killing of 15 rescue and aid workers in the southern Gaza Strip last month.
Israel’s military initially said “several vehicles were identified advancing suspiciously toward [Israeli] troops without headlights, or emergency signals” on March 23, and the soldiers opened fire.
But the Palestine Red Crescent Society released a video Saturday it said was found in a cellphone with one of the killed paramedics. It shows clearly marked rescue vehicles with headlights on and red emergency lights flashing. The video was filmed inside one of the vehicles in the convoy.
In the video, there is heavy gunfire over the course of several minutes, and a man’s voice says in Arabic, “Mom, forgive me. This is the path I chose, to help people.”
On Thursday, the Israel military said a high-level military investigation was taking place to determine whether to open a criminal investigation into misconduct over the March 23 incident.
“All claims, including the documentation circulating about the incident, will be thoroughly and deeply examined to understand the sequence of events and the handling of the situation,” the military said Saturday.
After the incident, the crew was missing for more than a week. Rescue teams finally discovered the bodies of 14 Palestinian emergency responders and a United Nations staffer under a mound of sand on March 31.
“One by one they were hit, they were struck. Their bodies were gathered and buried in this mass grave,” Jonathan Whittall, an official with the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, said in a video at the site where the bodies were found. “They were here to save lives. Instead, they ended up in a mass grave. … It’s an absolute horror what happened here.”
The U.N. says 408 aid workers have been killed in more than 17 months of war in Gaza.
Israel is expanding its military offensive in Gaza after breaking a ceasefire in the war that followed the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas-led attack on Israel. Israel says it’s fighting to pressure the Palestinian militant group to release hostages and defeat Hamas.
Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry
The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.
Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor
Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor.
Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums
Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.
Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering
U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.
Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana
An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

