China mulls U.S. overtures on trade talks, but demands tariffs be canceled
SHANGHAI — China says it is “assessing the situation” after what it says have been multiple overtures from the United States seeking trade talks, a potential sign that the two sides may be inching closer to a breakthrough.
In a statement, however, China’s Commerce Ministry indicated that the Trump administration’s tariffs stand in the way.
“If the U.S. side wants to talk, it must show sincerity and be prepared to correct its erroneous actions and cancel its unilateral tariff increases,” it said.
Chinese imports into the U.S. now face a crippling 145% tariff, after Washington and Beijing engaged in tit-for-tat tariff increases last month. With few exceptions, U.S. goods flowing into China are subject to tariffs of 125%.
Exporters, importers, port officials and recent government statistics all suggest that trade in both directions is slowing sharply as a result, with cumulative effects for the economy.
Neither side appears willing to be seen giving ground.
Trump and administration officials have said they believe China wants to talk, and that tariffs will eventually be reduced. In an interview on Fox News on Thursday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said China wants to reach “some sort of short-term accommodation”.
“The Chinese are reaching out. They want to meet. They want to talk,” he said, according to a transcript from the State Department.
Trump has said at times in recent days that talks were already under way. Chinese officials deny that.
“China’s position on the issue has been consistent: If it’s a fight, we’ll fight. If it’s talks, the door is open,” the commerce ministry said in a statement.
“In any possible dialogue or talks, if the United States side does not rectify its erroneous unilateral tariff measures, it will show that the United States side is totally insincere and will further undermine mutual trust between the two sides,” the ministry added.
“Saying one thing but doing another, or even attempting to engage in coercion and blackmail under the guise of talks, will not work on the Chinese side.”
Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry
The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.
Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor
Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor.
Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums
Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.
Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering
U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.
Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana
An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

