Income Inequality in Birmingham, Alabama
Income inequality is rampant in Alabama. In Jefferson County alone, the top 1% of wage earners make 25 times more than the remaining 99%. Experts say there are three factors leading to this disparity that ultimately create in some cases insurmountable obstacles to prosperity: educational opportunities, poverty and crime. We talk this with Nick Patterson, editor of the weekly newspaper Weld.
Nick Patterson is the editor for WELD for Birmingham, a weekly newspaper covering news and politics, arts and culture and community engagement in the Magic City. Patterson joins WBHM each Thursday during All Things Considered to discuss WELD's top stories.
Humane Society Approved for New 27-acre Facility in Titusville
The Birmingham City Council Tuesday transferred ownership of the property in Titusville to the Greater Birmingham Humane Society. Despite overwhelming support from residents, some in the neighborhood voiced concerns about the move. Hear more from Nick Patterson of Weld.