U.S. Secret Service says it shot a man near the White House after a confrontation
A man who was brandishing a firearm in Washington, D.C., was shot by Secret Service officers near the White House on Sunday morning, the Secret Service said.
The man, who is thought to have travelled from Indiana, had been flagged to the Secret Service by local police as a potential suicide risk, according to the agency. Officials came across the man’s car, and found him nearby with a firearm, when an armed confrontation ensued, the Secret Service said.
The man was transported to a nearby hospital, and his condition is so far unknown. No Secret Service personnel are thought to have been harmed.
President Donald Trump was at his home in Mar-a-Lago, Florida, at the time of the shooting, which occurred just one block away from the White House.

The full statement by the Secret Service is below:
“On Sunday March 9th, an adult male was shot by U.S. Secret Service personnel following an armed confrontation with law enforcement in Washington DC.
Earlier on Saturday, local police shared information about a suicidal individual who may be traveling to Washington DC from Indiana. Around midnight, members of the Secret Service encountered the individual’s parked vehicle near 17th and F Streets, NW. They also saw an individual on foot matching the description nearby.
As officers approached, the individual brandished a firearm and an armed confrontation ensued, during which shots were fired by our personnel.
The suspect was transported to an area hospital and his condition is unknown. There were no reported injuries to Secret Service personnel.
The incident is under investigation by the Metropolitan Police Department Internal Affairs Division’s Force Investigations Team, which investigates all law enforcement officer involved shootings in the District of Columbia.”
Auburn tabs USF’s Alex Golesh as its next coach, replacing Hugh Freeze on the Plains
The 41-year-old Golesh, who was born in Russia and moved to the United State at age 7, is signing a six-year contract that averages more than $7 million annually to replace Hugh Freeze. Freeze was fired in early November after failing to fix Auburn’s offensive issues in three seasons on the Plains.
Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry
The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.
Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor
Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor.
Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums
Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.
Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering
U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.

