Trump says ceasefire deal is near as Israeli strikes kill 138 Palestinians in Gaza
GAZA CITY and WASHINGTON – The Israeli military intensified strikes throughout Gaza on Friday, even as President Trump signaled that talks about a potential 60-day ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas were close.
“We’ll see what happens – we are going to know over the next 24 hours,” he told reporters early Friday morning, saying that it was up to Hamas to agree to the framework of the deal because Israel already had. Israeli officials have not said publicly whether or not they’ve agreed.
Israeli officials have not said publicly whether or not they’ve agreed, but have said there are positive signs that they’re ready to negotiate.
In a statement released Friday, Hamas said it gave mediators a response that “can be characterized as positive” on the proposal, stressing it is ready to start negotiations in an effort to implement a deal.
A senior Hamas official who was not authorized to speak publicly told NPR that the group wants guarantees to end the war permanently – something Israel has refused to do in past negotiations – in addition to a partial Israeli military withdrawal from the enclave, and for the United Nations to return as the main distributor of aid in Gaza.
Israel has tasked the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, a private US-funded contractor, to distribute food in Gaza after an almost three month blockade of aid. The distribution sites have been chaotic and often deadly for Palestinians trying to get food.
Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu are expected to meet in Washington on Monday, where the two will likely discuss the possible ceasefire. It will be Netanyahu’s third trip to the White House since Trump returned to office in January.
The last ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza was in January, and lasted for nearly two months, until Israel broke it with a series of surprise airstrikes.
Earlier in the week, Trump told Hamas to accept the deal, before conditions in Gaza become worse.
“I hope, for the good of the Middle East, that Hamas takes this Deal, because it will not get better — IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE,” he wrote on his social media platform, Truth Social.
Exact details of the deal have not been made public, but would focus on the return of Israeli hostages who have been held in Gaza since the October 2023 Hamas-led attack on southern Israel. There are still 50 hostages held in Gaza, more than half of whom are thought to be dead, according to Israel.

Israeli strikes in Gaza intensify
At al-Shifa hospital in Gaza City, Palestinians mourned over the bodies of loved ones, including several children, who were killed in an Israeli strike on a nearby school sheltering displaced people on Thursday. NPR witnessed at least nine bodies in the morgue, while dozens of injured were being treated at the hospital.
Othman Abdu, whose niece lost her three children in the attack, said he wanted to get a message to both sides trying to negotiate a ceasefire deal.
“Enough malicious politics,” he said. “Have mercy on us. There are innocent people being killed.”
Hospitals throughout Gaza have been flooded with patients in recent days as Israeli strikes have intensified, even as talks of a possible ceasefire deal have had some Palestinians cautiously optimistic.
At least 138 Palestinians have been killed and more than 400 injured on Thursday and Friday, according to Gaza health officials. More than 60 of those killed and hundreds of the injured were waiting for aid.
NPR’s Anas Baba reported from Gaza City. NPR’s Hadeel Al-Shalchi and Alon Avital contributed to this report from Tel Aviv. Abu Bakr Bashir contributed from London and Ahmed Abuhamda contributed from Cairo.
NPR’s Anas Baba reported from Gaza City. NPR’s Hadeel Al-Shalchi and Alon Avital contributed to this report from Tel Aviv. Abu Bakr Bashir contributed from London and Ahmed Abuhamda contributed from Cairo.
Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry
The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.
Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor
Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor.
Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums
Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.
Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering
U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.
Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana
An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

