Trump makes Kennedy Center Honors announcement. It caught the staff off guard
President Trump’s announcement on Truth Social that the 48th annual Kennedy Center Honors recipients would be announced tomorrow caught Kennedy Center staff off guard, according to a person familiar with the situation who requested anonymity because they fear professional repercussions for speaking out. They told NPR the staff is often “out of the loop” and “worried they won’t have enough time to sell tickets and sponsorships.”
Trump posted the announcement Tuesday morning. It said in part: “GREAT Nominees for the TRUMP/KENNEDY CENTER, whoops, I mean, KENNEDY CENTER, AWARDS,” which alludes to a bill in Congress that would rename the performing arts venue after him.
Trump continued, “Tremendous work is being done, and money being spent, on bringing it back to the absolute TOP LEVEL of luxury, glamour, and entertainment.”
The Kennedy Center Honors, awarded at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C., have long been considered prestigious, lifetime achievement awards with the main criterion being “artistic excellence.” Past honorees include Steven Spielberg, Quincy Jones, Rita Moreno, Herbie Hancock, Dick Van Dyke, Renee Fleming and Francis Ford Coppola.
While Honorees are usually living artists, Trump has floated the names Babe Ruth and Elvis Presley as possible recipients.
The Kennedy Center Honors has traditionally been the performing arts venue’s biggest fundraiser.
In February, Trump led an overhaul of the Kennedy Center’s leadership by dismissing the previously-appointed Board of Trustees, along with longtime Kennedy Center chair David Rubenstein. Deborah Rutter, who served as president of the cultural center for over a decade, was also ousted.
Under President Trump’s domestic spending agenda passed by Congress, the Kennedy Center will receive $257 million. That is six times what it normally gets from Congress annually.
Jennifer Vanasco edited this story for air and web.
Mexican army kills leader of Jalisco New Generation Cartel, official says
The Mexican army killed the leader of the powerful Jalisco New Generation Cartel, Nemesio Rubén Oseguera Cervantes, "El Mencho," in an operation Sunday, a federal official said.
Ukraine’s combat amputees cling to hope as a weapon of war
Along with a growing number of war-wounded amputees, Mykhailo Varvarych and Iryna Botvynska are navigating an altered destiny after Varvarych lost both his legs during the Russian invasion.
University students hold new protests in Iran around memorials for those killed
Iran's state news agency said students protested at five universities in the capital, Tehran, and one in the city of Mashhad on Sunday.
Pakistan claims to have killed at least 70 militants in strikes along Afghan border
Pakistan's military killed at least 70 militants in strikes along the border with Afghanistan early Sunday, the deputy interior minister said.
Team USA faces tough Canadian squad in Olympic gold medal hockey game
In the first Olympics with stars of the NHL competing in over a decade, a talent-packed Team USA faces a tough test against Canada.
PHOTOS: Your car has a lot to say about who you are
Photographer Martin Roemer visited 22 countries — from the U.S. to Senegal to India — to show how our identities are connected to our mode of transportation.
