Trump grants automakers temporary relief from tariffs

President Trump granted automakers a one-month reprieve from the import tariffs he imposed on Canada and Mexico — avoiding major disruption of the North American auto industry but underscoring the fickle nature of U.S. trade policy in the Trump era.

The president granted the tariff relief after conversations with Ford, General Motors and Stellantis, who complained that the import taxes that kicked in on Tuesday would make them less competitive than their European and Japanese rivals.

“The president is giving them an exemption for one month so they are not at an economic disadvantage,” said White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt. She stressed that “reciprocal tariffs” on imports from Europe and Asia are still set to take effect next month.

The White House said the exemption would also apply to other automakers operating in North American so long as they meet the content requirements of the United States-Mexico-Canada agreement, or USMCA, which Trump signed in 2020.

Over the last three decades, automakers have developed highly integrated operations in the U.S., Mexico, and Canada, with some vehicles crossing the border multiple times during assembly. The 25% tariff on imports from the United States’ northern and southern neighbors could jeopardize that system.

Trump wants the automakers to do more of their manufacturing in the United States.

“That’s the ultimate goal,” Leavitt said.

Not all get the tariff reprieve

The tariff relief doesn’t extend to the many other products the U.S. imports from Canada and Mexico, including lumber, fresh produce, tequila and Canadian whisky. Economists say much of the cost of the tariffs is ultimately passed along to consumers.

Trump said he spoke by telephone Wednesday with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

“The call ended in a “somewhat” friendly manner, Trump said in a social media post.

Stocks rallied as investors hoped for additional tariff relief. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 485 points, Wednesday, erasing more than a third of its loss in the two previous days.

Corrections:

  • March 5, 2025
    An earlier version of this story said incorrectly that temporary tariff relief had been granted only to Ford, General Motors and Stellantis. Any automaker that meets the North American content requirements of the USMCA will receive the temporary tariff relief.

 

Auburn tabs USF’s Alex Golesh as its next coach, replacing Hugh Freeze on the Plains

The 41-year-old Golesh, who was born in Russia and moved to the United State at age 7, is signing a six-year contract that averages more than $7 million annually to replace Hugh Freeze. Freeze was fired in early November after failing to fix Auburn’s offensive issues in three seasons on the Plains.

Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry

The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.

Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor

Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor. 

Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums

Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.

Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering

U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.

More Front Page Coverage