Smartphones and computers are now spared from Trump’s reciprocal tariffs

The Trump administration has amended its list of imports that will be affected by sweeping global tariffs in order to exempt certain electronics, including smartphones and computers.

The updated guidance was published Friday night by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The exemption will apply to President Trump’s steep “reciprocal tariffs” imposed across dozens of countries, which have since been paused until early July as well as the 145% levies currently in place on China. That was the only country excluded from the reciprocal tariff pause.

The exemption is effective for products that entered the U.S. or left warehouses starting on April 5. The White House issued a presidential memo about the exemption on Saturday.

When asked about the reasoning behind the exemption, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said in a statement: “President Trump has made it clear America cannot rely on China to manufacture critical technologies such as semiconductors, chips, smartphones, and laptops.”

Leavitt added, “At the direction of the President,” companies including Apple, TSMC and Nvidia “are hustling to onshore their manufacturing in the United States as soon as possible.”

The electronics exemption is a major development in the tariff war with China, which has imposed a 125% tariff on U.S. goods. Prices for electronics from China, a key sector, had been expected to spike.

Among the items that will now be spared from Trump’s steep tariffs include smartphones, computers, semiconductors, and flat panel display modules. But the updated guidance did not address any changes to the existing 20% tariff on Chinese goods in response to China’s involvement in the fentanyl trade.

According to the U.S. International Trade Commission, China has long been America’s chief source for electronic products, with Mexico, Taiwan, Vietnam, and Malaysia rounding out the top five.

There was also concern for American tech giants that rely on supply chains in China, like Apple. Before the updated guidance, Apple was expected to experience major setbacks as a result of the tariffs, Dan Ives, global head of technology research at Wedbush Securities, told CNBC earlier this week.

 

Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry

The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.

Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor

Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor. 

Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums

Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.

Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering

U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.

Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana

An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

More Front Page Coverage