Sinclair and Nexstar restore ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ to their local TV stations
Two major U.S. broadcast groups announced the end of their preemption of Jimmy Kimmel Live! The late night talk show will return to ABC stations affiliated with both Sinclair Broadcast Group and Nexstar Media Group on Friday, Sept. 26.
“Our objective throughout this process has been to ensure that programming remains accurate and engaging for the widest possible audience,” Sinclair said in a statement on Friday. “We take seriously our responsibility as local broadcasters to provide programming that serves the interests of our communities, while also honoring our obligations to air national network programming.”
Operating ABC stations in 30 markets, Sinclair said its decision came after receiving “thoughtful feedback from viewers, advertisers, and community leaders representing a wide range of perspectives.” The statement also acknowledged the impact of the shooting last week at an ABC affiliate station in Sacramento. “These events underscore why responsible broadcasting matters and why respectful dialogue between differing voices remains so important,” the statement said.
In a press release sent to NPR on Friday, Nexstar, which operates in 32 ABC markets, said the decision came following discussions with ABC’s parent company, Disney. “As a local broadcaster, Nexstar remains committed to protecting the First Amendment while producing and airing local and national news that is fact-based and unbiased and, above all, broadcasting content that is in the best interest of the communities we serve,” the release said.
Caught in the free speech crosshairs
ABC parent Disney suspended Kimmel’s show on Sept. 17, following threats from the head of the Federal Communications Commission to punish Kimmel. Disney said it owed the cancellation to Kimmel’s “ill-timed and thus insensitive” comments about the suspect in Charlie Kirk’s killing.
On Truth Social, President Trump congratulated ABC for its “courage” in shutting down Kimmel’s show.
But Disney experienced enormous blowback for the decision, with many seeing the suspension of Jimmy Kimmel Live! as an assault on First Amendment rights. Earlier this week, hundreds of big name artists – including Olivia Rodrigo, Tom Hanks and Pedro Pascal – signed on to an open letter published by the ACLU speaking out against Kimmel’s removal from the airwaves. Members of the public canceled their Disney+ streaming service subscriptions and vacations at Disney resorts.
“Disney is very sensitive to consumer perception and to consumer boycotts,” said Los Angeles entertainment attorney Jonathan Handel in an interview with NPR. “This is just the beginning of a widespread boycott emerging in the fight for free speech.”
Jimmy Kimmel Live! returned to national airwaves on Tuesday, where it was watched by more than 6 million viewers, according to a ratings report ABC issued on Wednesday. This, despite the fact that the show could not be seen by roughly a quarter of U.S. TV households. And Kimmel’s monologue garnered over 26 million views online. NPR has requested ratings information on Wednesday and Thursday’s viewership.
Sinclair explained in Friday’s statement its decision to preempt Kimmel’s program was “independent of any government interaction or influence.” The broadcasting group added: “Free speech provides broadcasters with the right to exercise judgment as to the content on their local stations. While we understand that not everyone will agree with our decisions about programming, it is simply inconsistent to champion free speech while demanding that broadcasters air specific content.”
Nexstar made a similar statement: “We stand apart from cable television, monolithic streaming services, and national networks in our commitment – and obligation – to be stewards of the public airwaves and to protect and reflect the specific sensibilities of our communities,” Nexstar said. “To be clear, our commitment to those principles has guided our decisions throughout this process, independent of any external influence from government agencies or individuals.”
Nexstar took Kimmel’s show off the air even before ABC suspended it. The company is in the middle of negotiating a big merger. It is awaiting FCC approval to acquire TEGNA, a major U.S. media company that owns and operates dozens of local TV stations around the country.
Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry
The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.
Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor
Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor.
Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums
Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.
Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering
U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.
Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana
An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.
Bessemer City Council approves rezoning for a massive data center, dividing a community
After the Bessemer City Council voted 5-2 to rezone nearly 700 acres of agricultural land for the “hyperscale” server farm, a dissenting council member said city officials who signed non-disclosure agreements weren’t being transparent with citizens.

