Poland’s Iga Świątek thrashes American Amanda Anisimova in Wimbledon women’s final
The Wimbledon women’s final came to an abrupt close on Saturday as Poland’s Iga Świątek delivered a swift, crushing defeat against American player Amanda Anisimova.
Świątek, 24, took an early lead in the competition, and continued at a punishing pace to secure a 6-0, 6-0 win in less than an hour of gameplay.
It was only the second time in the Open era that the Wimbledon title has been won with a double bagel — which is when a two-set match ends with one player winning every game.

Kate, the Princess of Wales, who did not attend last year’s match as she was recovering from cancer, handed Świątek the trophy.
Świątek is Poland’s first single’s champion at the prestigious tournament.
In remarks after her historic victory, which she called “super surreal,” Świątek praised 23-year-old Anisimova.
“I want to congratulate Amanda for, you know, amazing two weeks anyway, no matter what happened today,” she said. “You should be proud of the work you’re doing, and I hope we’re going to play many more finals here.”
Anisimova was the first U.S. woman to reach the Wimbledon final since Serena Williams in 2019.
Spectators were curious to see how she would perform in London this year after a bumpy few years in her tennis career.
Anisimova emerged on the professional scene as a teenage powerhouse who seemed fated for tennis greatness.

But a series of losses at major tournaments across the globe led to a 2023 decision.
Citing burnout and mental health struggles, Anisimova announced an indefinite break from the sport that year. The American said she did not even touch a racket for several months.
She only returned to the court professionally last year.
Ahead of the final she said that, whatever the outcome, “it’s been such a privilege to compete here and to be in the final is just indescribable.”
Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry
The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.
Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor
Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor.
Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums
Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.
Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering
U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.
Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana
An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

