French court finds far-right leader Marine Le Pen guilty in embezzlement case
PARIS — A French court found Marine Le Pen guilty on Monday in an embezzlement case but didn’t immediately say what her sentence might be and how it might impact the far-right leader’s political future.
Le Pen, sitting in the front row in the Paris court, showed no immediate reaction as the chief judge declared her guilty. She later repeatedly nodded her head in disagreement as the judge went into greater detail, saying Le Pen’s party had illegally used European Parliament money for its own benefit. “Incredible,” she whispered at one point.
The judge also handed down guilty verdicts to eight other current or former members of her party who, like her, previously served as European Parliament lawmakers.
Le Pen and her co-defendants face up to 10 years in prison. They can appeal, which would lead to another trial.
The biggest concern for Le Pen is that the court may declare her ineligible to run for office “with immediate effect” — even if she appeals. That could prevent her from running for president in 2027. She has described such scenario as a “political death.”
The verdict was shaping up as a resounding defeat for Le Pen and her party. As well as finding her and eight other former European lawmakers guilty of embezzling public funds, the court also handed down guilty verdicts to 12 other people who served as parliamentary aides for Le Pen and what is now the National Rally party, formerly the National Front.
The chief judge, who read the ruling delivered by her and two other justices, said Le Pen had been at the heart of “a system” that her party used to siphon off EU parliament money. The judge said Le Pen and other co-defendants didn’t enrich themselves personally. But the ruling described the embezzlement as “a democratic bypass” that deceived the parliament and voters.
Le Pen and 24 other officials from the National Rally were accused of having used money intended for European Union parliamentary aides to pay staff who worked for the party between 2004 and 2016, in violation of the 27-nation bloc’s regulations. Le Pen and her co-defendants denied wrongdoing.
Le Pen, 56, was runner-up to President Emmanuel Macron in the 2017 and 2022 presidential elections, and her party’s electoral support has grown in recent years.
During the nine-week trial that took place in late 2024, she argued that ineligibility “would have the effect of depriving me of being a presidential candidate” and disenfranchise her supporters.
“There are 11 million people who voted for the movement I represent. So tomorrow, potentially, millions and millions of French people would see themselves deprived of their candidate in the election,” she told the panel of three judges.
If Le Pen cannot run in 2027, her seeming natural successor would be Jordan Bardella, Le Pen’s 29-year-old protégé who succeeded her at the helm of the party in 2021.
Le Pen denied accusations she was at the head of the system meant to siphon off EU parliament money to benefit her party, which she led from 2011 to 2021. She argued instead that it was acceptable to adapt the work of the aides paid by the European Parliament to the needs of the lawmakers, including some political work related to the party.
Hearings showed that some EU money was used to pay for Le Pen’s bodyguard — who was once her father’s bodyguard — as well as her personal assistant.
Prosecutors requested a two-year prison sentence and a five-year period of ineligibility for Le Pen.
Le Pen said she felt they were “only interested” in preventing her from running for president.
Stocks sink in another brutal day, as Trump’s tariffs send global shockwaves
Investors, businesses and consumers all seem terrified of how President Trump's tariffs could upend the global economy.
National Security Agency chief fired as Trump ousts another top military officer
Air Force Gen. Timothy Haugh served just over a year as director of the NSA, the spy agency that collects cyber intelligence worldwide. He's the latest of several senior officers fired by Trump.
Comedian Russell Brand is charged with rape and assault in U.K.
The criminal charges were announced one and a half years after Brand was accused of sexual misconduct by four women in the fall of 2023.
The job market remains incredibly healthy — but the tariff storm could upend things
Employers added 228,000 jobs in March, showcasing a solid labor market. But uncertainty over tariffs and tepid consumer spending may weigh on job growth in the months to come.
Trade war escalates as China hits back with 34% tariffs on all U.S. goods
Analysts say the escalating trade tensions between the U.S and China will make a near-term deal to end the trade war "highly unlikely".
Gambling proposal likely dead for the legislative session
If there's any topic that hovers over the Alabama legislature, never quite going away, it's gambling. The perennial issue has always fallen short and it looks like it will do so again this year.