DHL reverses course and resumes shipping packages valued over $800 to U.S. consumers

The global shipping company DHL says it has resumed shipping packages valued over $800 in value to individual U.S. consumers, just one week after saying it was halting such shipments due to new U.S. customs rules.

In a post on its website, DHL said the policy reversal that took effect Monday came in response to discussions with the Trump administration over recent logistical challenges in international shipping.

“This decision follows constructive dialogue between DHL and the U.S. government, who demonstrated a strong willingness to understand our operational and technical challenges, and who agreed that it was imperative to act quickly in the interest of U.S. consumers,” the company said.

Last week, DHL said the 10% tariffs introduced by the Trump administration had resulted in more intensive inspections of packages over $800 entering the U.S., inundating the shipper with extra work and causing delays.

The company said last week that it was experiencing a “surge in formal customs clearances, which we are handling around the clock.”

DHL suspended business-to-consumer shipments valued over $800, though business-to-business deliveries continued.

On Monday, following its dialogue with federal officials, DHL said shipments valued between $800 and $2,500 can once again enter the U.S. through Customs and Border Patrol’s “informal” entry process.

Under the formal entry process, CBP says shippers may have to complete “extensive paperwork” and file a bond, while informal entry is a “less arduous” process in which CBP prepares the paperwork and calculates customs duties.

DHL said that shift would allow it to resume normal operations. Still, the company warned consumers that they may still experience delays as the company clears its backlog.

 

Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry

The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.

Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor

Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor. 

Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums

Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.

Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering

U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.

Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana

An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

More Front Page Coverage