Deal for TikTok creates U.S. joint venture, and government won’t have a stake

A new U.S.-based joint venture with investors that include Oracle and the private equity firm Silverlake will take control of the popular short video app TikTok, in a proposed deal that a senior White House official said was a compromise that met both U.S. and Chinese law.

The official, who spoke to reporters on condition of anonymity, said the U.S. government would not take a stake or have a seat on the board.

The new venture will get a copy of TikTok’s most valuable asset, its content recommendation algorithm, which will then be re-trained on U.S. data, the official said. The software company Oracle will serve as the company’s “security provider,” overseeing things like how the algorithm works, how the app is updated and how Americans’ data is stored.

“All this is going to save TikTok for 170 million American users, make it safe and secure for them. It’s going to save thousands of jobs. It’s going to save thousands of small businesses that depend on the app to promote their businesses,” the official said.

During an interview on The Sunday Briefing on FOX News Channel on Sunday, President Trump named Larry Ellison of Oracle, Michael Dell, founder of Dell Technologies, and Lachlan Murdoch, heir to Rupert Murdoch’s media empire, as people who were also involved in the deal. The White House official declined to comment when asked about other investors.

Oracle, Dell, Silverlake, and News Corp. did not respond to NPR’s emailed requests for comment. FOX declined to comment on the record.

As TikTok’s popularity rose during the past few years, concerns about national security followed, with some analysts and lawmakers believing that there was a significant risk in the possibility that Beijing could pressure the app’s Chinese owner ByteDance to help it spy on or influence TokTok’s many American users.

Last year Congress passed a law that required ByteDance to divest, or see the app banned in the U.S. The Supreme Court upheld TikTok’s free speech challenge to the ban. On Inauguration Day, Trump signed the first of several executive orders pausing enforcement of the ban.

According to the White House official, President Trump is expected to sign a new executive order this week “essentially declaring that the terms of this deal meet America’s national security needs” and that it meets requirements laid out by law.

The official said the executive order would extend an enforcement pause on that law to allow the investors and the company to finalize the implementation documents. The closing of the deal will be 120 days from signing, the official said.

The official said the fate of the algorithm was a “tough point of negotiation.”

“We had to come up with a compromise that meets both the requirements of U.S. law as well as the domestic law in China,” the official said.

“It’s going to be continuously monitored as it operates to ensure that it’s behaving appropriately. Right. That it’s not being used for any kind of malicious purpose and that it’s not being unduly influenced,” the official said.

The Trump administration has focused substantial energy on the tech industry, pushing companies like Apple and Nvidia to manufacture at home and trying to broker this deal to keep TikTok from going dark. The administration has also injected itself into the business of tech.

Earlier this summer, the U.S. government announced it would take roughly a 10% stake in chipmaker Intel as part of its efforts to promote chip manufacturing in the United States. The Trump administration also announced that it would take a 15% cut of Nvidia’s H20 chip sales to China.

 

Auburn tabs USF’s Alex Golesh as its next coach, replacing Hugh Freeze on the Plains

The 41-year-old Golesh, who was born in Russia and moved to the United State at age 7, is signing a six-year contract that averages more than $7 million annually to replace Hugh Freeze. Freeze was fired in early November after failing to fix Auburn’s offensive issues in three seasons on the Plains.

Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry

The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.

Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor

Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor. 

Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums

Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.

Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering

U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.

More Front Page Coverage