China vows retaliation after Trump’s latest tariff threat

BEIJING — China said on Tuesday it will not back down in the face of President Trump’s fresh threat to impose an additional 50% tariff on Chinese imports, as the trade war between the world’s top two economies looked set to worsen.

Trump said on Truth Social he would impose the new tariffs on China if Beijing did not retract a 34% retaliatory tariff on U.S. goods that it announced in response to Trump’s initial salvo last Wednesday.

In a strongly worded statement, China’s commerce ministry said the U.S. threat to impose additional tariffs “is adding a mistake on top of a mistake, once again exposing the extortionate nature of the United States, which China will never accept.”

“If the United States obstinately clings to this course, China will have no choice but to see it through to the end,” the statement said, adding that if the U.S. escalates its tariff measures, “China will resolutely take countermeasures to safeguard its rights and interests.”

Global equity markets have been pummelled as recession fears have grown following Trump’s “Liberation Day” announcement of tariffs that touch most countries and most U.S. imports.

On Tuesday, however, Asian stocks took a breather and gained ground in early trading, after heavy losses on Monday. Key indexes in China, Japan, Hong Kong and South Korea were up.

If Trump follows through, Chinese goods coming into the U.S. will be subject to a combined 104% tariff. Trump hit Beijing with 20% in tariffs in the first weeks of his presidency, and then an additional 34% tariff on Wednesday.

According to the office of the U.S. Trade Representative, the U.S. imported $438.9 billion in goods from China last year, up 2.8 percent from 2023.

Aowen Cao contributed to this report.

 

Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry

The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.

Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor

Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor. 

Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums

Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.

Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering

U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.

Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana

An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

More Front Page Coverage