Redstone Arsenal Responds to Active Shooter Report
Redstone Arsenal has been cleared of potential active shooters. Law enforcement agencies Tuesday were investigating a possible active shooter situation at the U.S. military installation in Huntsville. The Sparkman Center, the area of Redstone that was locked down for part of the afternoon, reopened late Tuesday afternoon.
The incident took place in the Aviation and Missile Command area, where about 5,000 people work, according to Lisa Simunaci, spokeswoman for the U.S. Army Materiel Command.
Possible active shooter on the Arsenal. Installation is locked down. Run hide fight.
— Redstone Arsenal (@TeamREDSTONE) June 27, 2017
At about 10:30 am, Redstone Arsenal tweeted this alert: “Possible active shooter on the Arsenal. Installation is locked down. Run hide fight.”
The facility, where 43,000 people work, was on lockdown.
By 12:30 pm, some restrictions had been lifted as some roads remained closed. Simunaci said several law enforcement agencies were still investigating the incident, including the Huntsville Police Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigations. There have been no reports of injuries or fatalities. No hospitals reported treated people from Redstone.
Simunaci said Redstone has good security measures in place, which it regularly tests. A drill was scheduled for tomorrow. It’s unclear whether that will still take place.
For an update from the scene, visit WBHM’s page onFacebook.
Photos: See demonstrators around the country rally in ‘Hands Off!’ protests
NPR member station photographers documented what they saw at the demonstrations against the Trump administration, from cuts and layoffs to federal departments, to mass deportations.
Florida heads to NCAA title game in a victory over SEC rival Auburn
Florida beat Southeastern Conference rival Auburn 79-73 in the Final Four on Saturday night. The Gators are going to the national championship game for the first time since their titles in 2006 and 2007.
How automakers are responding to the 25% car tariffs so far
It's only been a few days since President Trump's 25% tariffs on foreign cars took effect. But the import surcharge has led to some immediate changes, including layoffs and pauses in car shipments.
Nationwide ‘Hands Off’ protests erupt against Trump and Musk
Demonstrations took place across the country, uniting a myriad of criticisms of the Trump administration under one message: "Hands off."
How automakers are responding to the 25% car tariffs so far
It's only been a few days since President Trump's 25% tariffs on foreign cars took effect. But the import surcharge has led to some immediate changes, including layoffs and pauses in car shipments.
‘Oliver and Amanda Pig’ series author Jean Van Leeuwen dies at 87
The children's book author best known for her Oliver and Amanda Pig series has died at 87. Van Leeuwen wrote nearly 60 books, some of which sold millions of copies.