White House threatens layoffs — not furloughs — if the government shuts down

If the government shuts down on Oct. 1, the White House said it will look for ways to use the funding dispute to permanently eliminate some federal workers, rather than just temporarily send them home on unpaid leave.

This proposed “reduction in force” — outlined in a memo obtained by NPR on Wednesday — would be a significant shift from past government shutdowns, when employees have been temporarily furloughed until a budget deal is reached.

The White House Office of Management and Budget told agency heads that a funding lapse would give the administration the chance to issue “reduction in force” (RIF) notices to people who work on programs that are “not consistent with the president’s priorities.” The plans were first reported by Politico.

It’s the latest push by President Trump’s budget director, Russell Vought, to aggressively cut government programs created and funded by Congress, including foreign aid, spending on electric vehicle charging stations, and funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. Vought has argued that presidents – rather than Congress – have considerable power to control more spending, Democrats and the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office (GAO) have disagreed.

House Republicans have passed a bill that would fund the government at current levels through Nov. 21. But in the Senate, where 60 votes are required to pass the bill, Democrats have insisted on adding a number of measures, including subsidies for Affordable Care Act insurance premiums. They are set to expire, hitting Americans who buy insurance on the Obamacare exchanges with shocking price increases this year.

Schumer calls the memo ‘an attempt at intimidation’

Democratic leaders had been set to sit down with Trump on Thursday to talk about the issues, but Trump canceled the meeting, saying Democrats were making “unserious and ridiculous demands.”

The White House said it supports the bill passed by House Republicans. In the memo, the OMB said its layoff notices could be avoided if Democrats decide to support the bill.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., called the memo “an attempt at intimidation” in a statement released late Wednesday night.

“This is nothing new and has nothing to do with funding the government,” Schumer wrote. “These unnecessary firings will either be overturned in court or the administration will end up hiring the workers back, just like they did as recently as today.”

Congressional Democrats are under intense pressure from their voters to stand up to Trump after they provided the votes to pass a six-month spending bill in March.

At the time, Schumer said that a shutdown would give Trump the power to pick and choose what departments and agencies to reopen.

The plan for layoff notices is a break from the Trump administration’s approach during his first term. In 2018, Trump refused to sign a bipartisan stopgap government funding bill because it didn’t include funding for his border wall, sparking a 35-day shutdown, the longest on record. But the administration worked to reduce the pain from the shutdown by keeping as much of the government open as possible, and pledging to give furloughed workers back pay as quickly as possible.

 

Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry

The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.

Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor

Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor. 

Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums

Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.

Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering

U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.

Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana

An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

More Front Page Coverage