Vance says administration will keep fighting to send National Guard to Chicago
After an appeals court again blocked the government’s attempt to deploy the National Guard in the Chicago area, Vice President JD Vance says the Trump administration will “litigate this as much as we can.”
His comments came one day after a federal appeals court in Illinois ruled that the Trump administration can keep federalized National Guard members in the state of Illinois but cannot deploy them for now.
“We’re obviously going to litigate this as much as we can,” Vance said on ABC’s This Week Sunday. “We think that we have the authority to provide proper safety to our citizens all over the United States, but particularly in Chicago.”
The ruling Saturday by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit is the latest development in the administration’s ongoing push to deploy National Guard members to a number of Democratic cities and states across the U.S., including Chicago and Portland, Oregon.
Trump and other administration officials have claimed that federal forces are necessary to control crime and protect federal agents, while leaders in those cities and others say there is no need for National Guard troops and accuse the Trump administration of overstepping its authority.
Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker, a Democrat who’s sparred with Trump over the National Guard deployment, said no troops are on the streets of Chicago thanks to the multiple judicial rulings. “We’ve got to rely on the courts to do the right thing,” he told ABC’s This Week.
Most of the 500 National Guard members from Texas and Illinois were based at a U.S. Army Reserve Center in Elwood, Illinois, while a smaller group was sent to a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) facility in Broadview, according to the Associated Press.
The legal back-and-forth rolls on as the country’s third-largest city hosts the Bank of America Chicago Marathon on Sunday, which organizers say will draw more than 53,000 runners and 1.7 million spectators to city streets.
There had been some question about whether the race would be a target of the Trump administration’s ramped-up immigration enforcement efforts in the Chicago area, also known as “Operation Midway Blitz.”
But ICE told the Chicago Sun-Times in a statement that it “does not conduct operations at sensitive locations, such as public events, unless there are exigent circumstances.” The Chicago Park District said in a social media post that it had not received any information about ICE agents at the marathon, “contrary to a post circulating on social media.”
Enrique Rivera, organizer of the predominantly Latino running club Venados, told member station WBEZ that he was less concerned for runners during the race itself than while they were preparing for it.
“I’m more afraid of individuals that are out there trying to do this in a group of three, a group of four, right?” Rivera said. That’s where you know something can happen, and your family won’t find out for days.”
Along with Portland, Chicago has been a national flashpoint in recent weeks for the Trump administration’s national immigration crackdown.
On Thursday, U.S. District Court Judge April Perry of the Northern District of Illinois blocked the government from federalizing and deploying National Guard troops in the state. Perry said descriptions of recent protests around Chicago offered by Trump administration attorneys were “simply unreliable” and issued the 14-day order, though it was partially overturned by an appeals court just two days later.
Still, clashes between protesters and federal agents have continued in the Chicago area. On Friday a journalist with Chicago’s WGN television station, Debbie Brockman, was detained by law enforcement agents and later released. A Department of Homeland Security spokesperson said Brockman “threw objects at border patrol’s car” but no charges have been filed, the Guardian reported.
Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry
The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.
Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor
Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor.
Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums
Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.
Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering
U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.
Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana
An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

