Trump seeks to boost nuclear industry and overhaul safety regulator
President Trump signed a series of executive orders aimed at boosting nuclear power and restructuring the independent Nuclear Regulatory Commission during an Oval Office event on Friday.
“It’s time. It’s time for nuclear and we’re going to do it very big,” President Trump told reporters, while flanked by executives from the nuclear industry.
NPR had previously reported on the executive orders, which have been circulating for several weeks.
One order calls for major reforms at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, the independent agency that oversees America’s nuclear reactors. The order calls for approvals of new nuclear reactor designs to be completed in no more than 18 months. It also asks the agency to reconsider strict radiation standards that are currently used to ensure safety for workers and the public. Finally, it would require restructuring of the NRC itself and a wide-ranging revision of regulations to be conducted in conjunction with the White House and Elon Musk’s Department of Government Efficiency.
Some members of the nuclear industry applauded the reform. “The safety regulations that we put in place were largely reactionary to Three Mile Island,” says Isaiah Taylor, CEO and Founder of Valar Atomics, a startup that seeks to build small modular reactors. “You know there’s a lot of advanced reactor architectures that just don’t share the same characteristics as the reactors that we were building in the 60s and 70s.”
But others say the executive order has the potential to undermine nuclear safety. “An independent regulator is one who is free from industry and political influence,” says Allison Macfarlane, director of the School of Public Policy and Global Affairs at the University of British Columbia in Canada who was nominated by President Obama to serve as chair of the NRC from 2012 to 2014. “Once you insert the White House into the process, you don’t have an independent regulator anymore.”
The NRC has already been trying to reform itself. Last year, Congress passed a bipartisan law designed to accelerate the approval of new reactor designs.
As a result of the law, some changes were already underway. For example, approving reactor designs within 18 months can be done, “without sacrificing safety,” says a senior NRC official, who asked to remain anonymous because they were not authorized to speak to the press about the executive orders.
But outsiders are worried that if the agency is shaken up as promised, it could actually end up slowing approvals. The White House is already requiring that it be allowed to review new rules from the agency, adding time to its regulatory process, and a major reorganization could further slow things down.
Trump’s executive orders also call for accelerating nuclear research at national laboratories around the U.S., building nuclear reactors on federal lands and the resumption of uranium mining and enrichment on American soil.
Trump signed the executive order flanked by executives and CEOs from large and small nuclear companies. Many seemed jubilant.
“Thank you Mr. President,” said Jacob DeWitte, the CEO of Oklo, a startup seeking to build small nuclear reactors. “Changing the permitting dynamics is going to help things move faster. We’re seeing private investment move into this space like we’ve never seen before.”
Oklo had a combined license for its experimental Aurora reactor denied by the NRC in 2022 due to “significant information gaps in its description of Aurora’s potential accidents,” according to a press release from the agency.
Oklo’s stock was up around 25% today.
Macfarlane says she doubts these executive orders will fundamentally change the fact that nuclear power remains costly to develop and build. But she’s worried about the consequences.
“I’m very concerned this could affect nuclear safety in the U.S.,” she says.
Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry
The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.
Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor
Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor.
Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums
Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.
Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering
U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.
Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana
An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

