Trump says National Guard is at the ready but hedges on Chicago plans
President Trump said Monday that the U.S. military is ready to go to any city to crack down on crime — even if the governor does not request its assistance.
Trump signed an executive order at the White House to create a specialized National Guard unit that could be deployed to assist local law enforcement in Washington, D.C., and potentially around the U.S. “in quelling civil disturbances and ensuring the public safety and order whenever the circumstances necessitate.”
“We want to go from here to other places. But I was, I was telling some of the people that in a certain way, you really want to be asked to go. You know, I hate to barge in on a city and then be treated horribly by corrupt politicians and bad politicians,” Trump said while signing several executive orders.
Last week, Trump suggested his administration could target Chicago next for a federal crackdown against crime.
But when pressed on Monday, he hedged, saying he may or may not send in federal troops to Chicago.
“I didn’t get a request from the governor,” Trump said. “Illinois is affected maybe more than anybody else. And I think until I get that request from that guy, I’m not going to do anything about it.”
Earlier on Monday morning, Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson, a Democrat, told NPR’s Morning Edition that such a move would be “illegal and costly.”
“The city of Chicago is not calling for American troops to occupy American cities,” Johnson said. “It’s not democratic. It’s unconstitutional.”
Johnson said his office has not heard about a potential deployment directly from the White House.
Auburn tabs USF’s Alex Golesh as its next coach, replacing Hugh Freeze on the Plains
The 41-year-old Golesh, who was born in Russia and moved to the United State at age 7, is signing a six-year contract that averages more than $7 million annually to replace Hugh Freeze. Freeze was fired in early November after failing to fix Auburn’s offensive issues in three seasons on the Plains.
Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry
The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.
Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor
Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor.
Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums
Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.
Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering
U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.

