Prince Andrew drops Duke of York title as Epstein fallout continues

LONDON — In a statement from Buckingham Palace, Prince Andrew says he’s giving up his Duke of York title and other honors, amid fresh scrutiny of his friendship with the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Andrew, 65, denies any wrongdoing, but stepped back from royal duties in 2019, over his Epstein links. He was stripped of royal patronages and military titles in 2022.

This week, British media published excerpts of a posthumous memoir by Epstein’s best-known accuser, Virginia Giuffre, who says she had sex with the prince when she was 17. Andrew denies that, and settled a lawsuit with Giuffre in 2022. She died by suicide earlier this year.

In a statement issued by the palace late Friday, Andrew says the “continued accusations… distract from the work of His Majesty” King Charles. So after “discussion” with the king and their “wider family,” Andrew says he will “no longer use my title or the honours which have been conferred upon me.” He added that he “vigorously” denies the accusations against him.

Andrew remains a prince, and is expected to continue living in a royal residence near Windsor Castle. His daughters remain princesses. But his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson will also lose her Duchess of York title.  

 

Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry

The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.

Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor

Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor. 

Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums

Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.

Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering

U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.

Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana

An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

More Front Page Coverage