Nutella-maker Ferrero to gobble up cereal giant Kellogg for $3.1 billion

American cereal giant Kellogg and Italian candy giant Ferrero have struck a sweet deal worth $3.1 billion.

Ferrero, the family-owned maker of Nutella, has agreed to buy the iconic American maker of Froot Loops and Frosted Flakes, combining two of the world’s most storied sweet brands.

“Joining Ferrero will provide WK Kellogg Co with greater resources and more flexibility to grow our iconic brands in this competitive and dynamic market,” WK Kellogg CEO Gary Pilnick said in a statement.

Rapidly changing consumer habits are the context for this deal, as U.S. shoppers are increasingly either looking to store-brand snacks and cereals in search of a deal or reaching for heathier choices. Kellogg is also working to phase out artificial dyes from its products.

The company in May reported a decline in sales and lowered its financial forecast for the year. Its new deal with Ferrero will face reviews by Kellogg’s shareholders as well as federal regulators.

Ferrero was founded in Italy nearly 80 years ago and has lately been on a quest to expand its American reach. The company has bought ice cream company Wells Enterprises, known for Blue Bunny and Halo Top brands, in addition to Nestle’s American chocolate business, which includes Butterfinger and Raisinets.

“Over recent years, Ferrero has expanded its presence in North America, bringing together our well-known brands from around the world with local jewels rooted in the U.S. Today’s news is a key milestone in that journey,” Giovanni Ferrero, executive chairman of the Ferrero Group, said in a statement on Thursday.

Kellogg’s parent company first split about two years ago, spinning off its North American cereal business (with Rice Krispies and Kashi) into WK Kellogg. The other half, the snacking business (with Cheez-Its and Pop-Tarts), was last year sold to Virginia-based Mars (with M&Ms and Juicy Fruit) in a massive $30 billion deal.

 

Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry

The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.

Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor

Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor. 

Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums

Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor

The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.

Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering

U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.

Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana

An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

More Front Page Coverage