ABC drops Terry Moran after he calls Trump a ‘world-class hater’
ABC News dropped veteran correspondent and anchor Terry Moran on Tuesday after he had posted on social media that President Trump and a senior White House official were “world-class” haters.
“We are at the end of our agreement with Terry Moran and based on his recent post — which was a clear violation of ABC News policies — we have made the decision to not renew,” the network said in a statement released by a spokesperson. “At ABC News, we hold all of our reporters to the highest standards of objectivity, fairness and professionalism, and we remain committed to delivering straightforward, trusted journalism.” (Moran did not respond to NPR’s requests for comment.)
Moran had been a foreign correspondent, chief White House correspondent and anchor of Nightline over his nearly three decades at ABC News. At one time, he was considered by executives as a potential evening news anchor in the mold of the late Peter Jennings.
Just six weeks ago, Moran had interviewed Trump, earning acclaim from many of his peers for gently pressing the president over his false claims about a man deported by the administration to El Salvador. Trump, irritated, told Moran in the middle of the exchange that he had “never heard of you.”
“You’re not being very nice,” Trump said, suggesting Moran should not push back given the “big break” he had been given in getting the sit-down interview.
In December, the Walt Disney Co., ABC’s corporate parent, agreed to pay $16 million to settle a lawsuit filed by Trump as a private citizen last fall over repeated assertions by anchor George Stephanopoulos that Trump had been found liable for rape in a civil trial. In fact, Trump was found liable for sexual abuse in a civil trial in New York City. (Disney agreed to pay $15 million to a foundation for Trump’s eventual presidential library and $1 million for legal fees incurred by his lawyers.)
Paramount Global, the parent company of CBS, is in talks to settle another lawsuit filed by Trump as a private citizen over his ire at the editing of a 60 Minutes interview of then Vice President Kamala Harris during last fall’s presidential campaign. Corporate officials believe that failing to strike such a deal could provoke federal regulators to hold up a sale of the company valued at $8 billion to the son of tech titan Larry Ellison, a Trump backer.
Historically, for a White House to tie up corporate transactions over personal or ideological pique would be considered a scandal. Trump often advertises the possibility: he threatened Elon Musk’s government contracts during their recent falling out.
In Moran’s case, White House officials including Vice President JD Vance and Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt denounced Moran and called for him to be punished or fired.
Moran took down the post but has not repudiated it.
In his post over the weekend on Musk’s social media platform X, Moran said that Deputy White House Chief of Staff Stephen Miller “is a man who is richly endowed with the capacity for hatred.”
“[Y]ou can see that his hatreds are his spiritual nourishment,” Moran continued.
By contrast, Moran argued, Trump’s hatred was “only a means to an end” — “his own glorification.”
Leavitt, the White House press secretary, said Moran “went on a rampage” and called his remarks “unhinged and unacceptable.” She said the White House had asked ABC how it planned to hold Moran accountable.
Even as journalists acknowledged Moran’s comments were inappropriate, some also cautioned that administration officials should not dictate actions by news outlets.
Margaret Sullivan, a columnist on politics and media for the left-leaning Guardian US, wrote on Substack that Moran should be suspended but not fired.
Robby Soave, senior editor of the libertarian Reason magazine, called Leavitt’s actions “censorship adjacent.” He wrote that the White House press secretary is “trying to pressure ABC News to censor Terry Moran over his (admittedly a bit questionable) tweet.”
Moran’s post and the controversy that subsequently surrounded it took colleagues by surprise. In his time at ABC, Moran was considered careful in his reporting and measured in his analysis. If anything, Moran was thought to be more conservative and more willing to outwardly acknowledge his religious faith than many peers, according to three former colleagues at ABC. (They asked for anonymity to speak given the sensitivity surrounding Moran’s ouster by the network.)
ABC did suspend Moran over the weekend but by Tuesday concluded that – despite his 28 years at the network — he could not return.
Alabama Power seeks to delay rate hike for new gas plant amid outcry
The state’s largest utility has proposed delaying the rate increase from its purchase of a $622 million natural gas plant until 2028.
Former U.S. Sen. Doug Jones announces run for Alabama governor
Jones announced his campaign Monday afternoon, hours after filing campaign paperwork with the Secretary of State's Office. His gubernatorial bid could set up a rematch with U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, the Republican who defeated Jones in 2020 and is now running for governor.
Scorching Saturdays: The rising heat threat inside football stadiums
Excessive heat and more frequent medical incidents in Southern college football stadiums could be a warning sign for universities across the country.
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor
The Gulf States Newsroom is hiring an Audio Editor to join our award-winning team covering important regional stories across Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.
Judge orders new Alabama Senate map after ruling found racial gerrymandering
U.S. District Judge Anna Manasco, appointed by President Donald Trump during his first term, issued the ruling Monday putting a new court-selected map in place for the 2026 and 2030 elections.
Construction on Meta’s largest data center brings 600% crash spike, chaos to rural Louisiana
An investigation from the Gulf States Newsroom found that trucks contracted to work at the Meta facility are causing delays and dangerous roads in Holly Ridge.

